I Am Sponsoring My Blog Through My Better Eyesight Business

Monday, July 28, 2008

A Salt



Wanting to make Kim Chi and not having my standby ingredients I decided to look into table salt again. My mom had brought some "Lo Salt" - Reduced Sodium Salt Alternative from my Grandmother's house and I thought maybe I'll use it for the Kim Chi.

The ingredients are 66% Potassium Chloride and 33% Sodium Chloride

I search google and as usual wikipedia comes up.

"metal halide salt composed of potassium and chlorine. In its pure state it is odorless. It has a white or colorless vitreous crystal, with a crystal structure that cleaves easily in three directions. Potassium chloride crystals are face-centered cubic."

Lum dee dum dee dum... and then "used in medicine, scientific applications, food processing and in judicial EXECUTION through LETHAL INJECTION"

La dee da...

"Orally it is toxic in excess; the LD50 is around 2500 milligram/kg (meaning that a person weighing 75 kg (165 lb) would have to consume about 190 g (6.7 ounces) which equivalent to 38 tea spoons; table salt is about as toxic). Intravenously this is reduced to just over 100 mg/kg but of more concern are its severe effects on cardiac muscles; high doses can cause cardiac arrest and rapid death. A massive overdose of intravenous potassium chloride is used to stop the heart in capital punishment by lethal injection."

Obviously you are not eating a half pound of salt... though it's quite interesting that the intravenous amount to kill a person is 100 mg/kg = 1/25 of the oral toxicity
I weigh around 65kg - so 6.5 grams of intravenous salt would kill me? Wow.

In this article http://people.howstuffworks.com/lethal-injection4.htm,
of the three chemicals used in execution...
Potassium chloride is the listed toxic agent.
And as you read earlier in the article - table salt is about as toxic.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt

It lists several conditions that may occur if you don't get enough salt. I'm not sure if those conditions arise simply from not eating table salt. I imagine that many people have lived long lives without mining salt or being near an ocean. Perhaps they were getting trace minerals from the dirt they were in and from eating grasses and shrubs and what being in the soil.

"Concerns have been raised regarding the possible toxic effects of aluminium in the latter two compounds[citation needed]; however, both the European Union and the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) permit their use.[16] The refined salt is then ready for packing and distribution."

That the EU and FDA permit use of aluminium in salt does not make them desirable for consumption.

I am not aware of any legislation that says it's illegal to feed a baby a diet of french fries and ketchup. After all, according to USDA.gov french fries and ketchup ARE Vegetables.

This video's a little long but it shows a "game" from the USDA's website and shows what kind of food recommendations they make and what they'd like to feed your children.



Later in the wiki article, lists of high salt related dis-eases are listed, and it is mentioned that salt has long been used for suicide in China. :) In the potassium chloride article it mentioned Dr. Kevorkian's use of potassium chloride in his suicide machine. Neat !

hmm. i wonder how much salt is consumed in those hot dog eating competitions.
some genius ate 66 hot dogs. I'm guessing that's around 35grams or more of salt. I'd look it up but i think we all know that hot dogs are not health food. They're soul food.

Peace reader

we've got a lot to learn.



Update, after some more reading I'm seeing that a minimum amount of salt is not listed. I don't see where there's a minimum amount of sodium chloride. Sodium's listed as an essential nutrient, but not sodium chloride.

Post your thoughts feelings experiences. How much sodium chloride does a person really need? and does they have to get it from some manufactured source?
I think not because for much of our history - no manufactured source! Which animals consume refined salt?

peace again

peace
peace





2 comments:

anngunn65 said...

Hey David,

I think a long - long - long time ago I had some microwaved popcorn that was seasoned with a potassium chloride and something else mixture. All I remember was getting a really weird headache and then stomache ache, so I stopped eating it. Hey, stom-ache!

Ann

David said...

lol u r having much fun with words!

i hear microwavings not super either :)

nice to know that there are so many things we have done that we can not do again in the future and feel much better ebcause of it!

Google Search !